A 3-day tour of Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park and Lake Kivu area is an exciting adventure that combines gorilla trekking and scenic views of one of Africa’s great lakes. Here’s a sample itinerary for your reference:
Day 1: Kigali to Volcanoes National Park
- You will be picked up from your hotel in Kigali and driven to Volcanoes National Park in Musanze, which will take about 2-3 hours.
- Upon arrival, you will check into your lodge and have lunch.
- In the afternoon, you can choose to visit the Iby’Iwacu Cultural Village, where you will learn about the local culture and interact with the community, or relax at your lodge.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking in Volcanoes National Park
- After an early breakfast, you will drive to the park headquarters for a briefing on gorilla trekking.
- You will then be assigned to a gorilla family and start the trek through the forest with a professional guide. The trek can take anywhere from 2-6 hours depending on the location of the gorilla family.
- Once you find the gorillas, you will spend an hour with them, observing their behavior and taking photos.
- After the trek, you will return to your lodge for lunch and rest.
- In the afternoon, you will drive to Lake Kivu, which will take about 2-3 hours.
- Upon arrival, you will check into your hotel and enjoy the rest of the evening at your leisure.
Day 3: Lake Kivu Boat Tour and Departure
- After breakfast, you will take a boat tour of Lake Kivu, which will take you to several islands and provide stunning views of the lake and surrounding hills.
- You will have a chance to swim, kayak, or relax on one of the islands.
- After the boat tour, you will return to your hotel for lunch and check-out.
- You will then be driven back to Kigali and dropped off at your hotel or the airport.
This is just an example itinerary, and it can be customized according to your preferences and budget. A visit to Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park and Lake Kivu area is a perfect opportunity to experience the country’s natural beauty and wildlife, and to create unforgettable memories.